Childhood Obesity

7385585688_5e791dbb93_oA couple of days ago when I was having breakfast at a local restaurant with some running buddies, I saw an obese family of a mother and her two children. The family was eating a high caloric meal. But what really amazed me is that the son asked for extra butter so he could just eat it. I wondered to myself what kind of life do these children have? Are they teased for being overweight? Why is food so important to them? And how blocked are their arteries?

You know if a child has one overweight parent, they have 25% chance of being overweight. If they have two overweight parents, they have 75% change to be overweight.  Fat cells develop in childhood. Even with loss of weight, they shrink but do not disappear. Please don’t reward your child with food, reinforce their good behavior  privileges and your attention.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s